Roasted Delicata Squash, Barley and Arugula Salad with Creamy Maple Vinaigrette
This hearty fall and winter salad is like a cross between a grain bowl and a salad. Packed with vibrant cold weather vegetables, tangy feta cheese and a creamy maple vinaigrette, it has all of the elements of a satisfying meal. Serve it alongside your Thanksgiving meal for a bright and fresh break from all the decadence.
Maple Vinaigrette - Adapted from Modern Proper
Maple Roasted Delicata Squash & Red Onions
- 2 Delicata Squash seeded and cut into ½" slices
- 1 Red Onion ¼" vertical slices
- 4-6 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 ½ teaspoon Dried Thyme
- 1 ½ teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes or less, to taste
- 2-3 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2-3 tablespoon Maple Syrup
- Kosher Salt and Pepper to taste
Combine all dressing ingredients in a bowl or utility cup and use an immersion blender to combine, about 15 seconds. If you do not have an immersion blender, combine all ingredients except the olive oil and whisk to combine. While continuously whisking, slowly drizzle in the olive oil to emulsify. Toss all ingredients together in a large bowl, then spread in a single layer on parchment lined sheet pans. Roast at 450F for about 10-15 minutes, then remove from the oven. Using tongs, turn over all slices of squash, then return to the oven (switching racks if using more than one sheet pan) for 10-20 minutes, until golden and cooked through.
Combine all ingredients in a saucepan with a lid. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, cover and cook per package instructions. Drain any excess liquid, remove cinnamon sticks and bay leaf, season with salt and pepper.
Drizzle a bit of dressing on the warm barley. Next, toss arugula, feta, nuts and cranberries with a bit more dressing. Sprinkle barley in with arugula mix and toss to incorporate. Plate up, then top with roasted squash and red onions. Enjoy!
- To make this vegan, sub vegan mayo and either omit feta or sub vegan feta.
- Barley and squash/onions can all be made up to 3 days ahead and kept in the refrigerator. Allow to return to room temperature or warm slightly before serving.
- Dressing will keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Calories: 679kcalCarbohydrates: 90gProtein: 17gFat: 32gSaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 39mgSodium: 576mgPotassium: 1376mgFiber: 16gSugar: 31gVitamin A: 4343IUVitamin C: 37mgCalcium: 421mgIron: 5mg