Hey y’all! My name is Ashley and I’m the Grocery Addict.
If you’re searching for time saving tips & tricks to feed your family on a budget, you’ve come to the right place!
I don’t have the budget for takeout, but still want to eat tasty food every single day. (That said, I’m not above a good, complete cheat — frozen pizza + salad kit, I’m looking at you!)
Sometimes I go all out and make things entirely from scratch, but I also love finding efficient hacks to getting a (mostly) healthy & homemade meal on the table fast.
I’m here to help with:
- Accessible recipes - I promise not to do anything too “chef-y” here. My recipes are designed for real, busy people like you!
- Most of my recipes:
- require 30 minutes of active time or less
- can be used for meal prep (meaning they refrigerate and/or freeze well)
- have at least one available shortcut to cut down on prep time
- Most of my recipes:
- Pantry stocking tips - I’ll teach you how to shop so you can always whip up something yummy on the fly!
- Repeat after me: “there’s no shame in shortcuts!” I scour the grocery stores and interwebs for hardworking products that make being the CFO (Chief Food Officer) of your family a little easier.
- I’ll show you how to make do with grocery runs only every 10 days with strategies to cut down on food waste so you can keep more of your hard earned cash.
How I Like to Cook
My cooking style is rough n’ ready, seasonal, and globally inspired. I’m focused on:
- BIG flavor,
- Being relatively healthy,
- Eliminating waste (It’s better for the pocket AND the environment!),
- Committing to eating made-at-home meals 95%+ of the time, AND
- Staying within (or under!) the USDA’s low cost food plan budget of about $9 per adult per day.
Fun Facts About Me
- I've lived in 7 major cities in my life — I grew up in Sacramento, went to school in Chicago and Paris, and worked in San Francisco, Los Angeles, Chicago (yep, I lived there twice!), and Philadelphia before making the move to Nashville where I've been for 10 years.
- I didn't learn to ride a bike till I was 35 years old. Old dog, new tricks? Hell yeah!
- I am the middle child with two bookend brothers.
- I am married to a musician.
- I have two 70-pound dogs who are pretty sure they're lap dogs.
Things I Like To Do
- Cooking, baking, making ice cream, bread-making (sourdough is a new skill for me and I LOVE it), & cake decorating. I live to spend time in the kitchen and eat ALL the tasty things!
- Long walks and hikes with Joe (my hubby) and our pups.
- Yoga — the hotter the better!
- Reading — You'll nearly always find me with my nose in a book, magazine, or reading an article online. Unless I'm writing, of course!
- Being a food justice activist and advocate.
- Gardening and tending to my nearly 100 indoor plant babies.
- Playing games — especially word games like Scrabble, Wordle, or the NYT Crossword.
I hope to see you in the kitchen!
With warmth and gratitude,
Ash, Grocery Addict