Don't you just love a good sheet pan dinner? If you're not familiar with the concept, you should check them out. They're a gee dang godsend when it comes to busy weeknights. There's only one pan to clean (and that's if you don't line it with foil). There's minimal prep involved, and the oven does all of the heavy lifting so you can get on with your life. One of my current favorites? Our BBQ Chicken Sweet Potato Bowls made with Trader Joe's Ghost Pepper BBQ Sauce.
Y'all, I'm in love with sweet potatoes right now. They're so versatile that they've recently made appearances in my breakfasts, lunches AND dinners. In addition, they have an excellent shelf life (which is super important to me in these pandemic times). They're also a wonderful source of Vitamin A, which is important for vision, immunity and reproductive health. And despite how sweet they are, they rank low on the Glycemic Index. They are a superfood in every meaning of the word.
Now, while boneless, skinless chicken breasts might be one of Joe's ideal cuts of meat (he doesn't like his food to resemble the animal it comes from), they are low on my list of preferred proteins. Oftentimes they can be dry, bland and altogether unappetizing. Not so with this little sheet pan meal hack. The meat came out tender and juicy, and it provided an excellent foil to the creamy, barely charred sweet potatoes.
Top the whole thing off with Trader Joe's Ghost Pepper BBQ Sauce, and you've got yourself a real winner winner, chicken dinner. The sauce is smoky and sweet without being cloying, spicy without burning your face off. It's perfectly balanced and has become our new go-to store bought BBQ sauce. (If you're doing the Whole30 or Paleo thing, be sure to use a Paleo BBQ Sauce instead.)
If you need a quick, healthy, filling dinner recipe that both kids and adults will enjoy, then honey, this one's for you.
Want more food inspiration?
BBQ Chicken and Sweet Potato Bowl
- 4 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts cubed
- 4 medium Sweet Potatoes cubed (and peeled, if preferred)
- 1 medium Red Onion sliced vertically
- ¼ C Olive Oil divided
- 1 tablespoon Garlic Powder divided
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Trader Joe's Ghost Pepper BBQ Sauce to taste
- 4 Green Onions chopped
- Ranch Dressing or Yum Yum Sauce optional
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line rimmed cookie sheet with foil (for easy clean up) and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Peel (optional) and cube sweet potatoes and slice red onion. Place on baking sheet, drizzle with about half of the olive oil and toss. Season with a bit of garlic powder, salt and pepper, toss again. Spread evenly on baking sheet. Roast for 15 minutes while you prep other ingredients.
- Chop green onions and put aside. Cube chicken. Toss with remaining olive oil and garlic powder, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Move sweet potatoes to one side of baking sheet to make room for chicken. Add seasoned chicken to pan, spreading out evenly in one layer. Return to oven and bake for 15-20 mins, until chicken registers 165F.
- Scoop potatoes and onions into a bowl, top with chicken. Drizzle Trader Joe's Ghost Pepper BBQ Sauce to taste. Add any other toppings you like! I recommend you sprinkle green onions and cilantro and add a drizzle of either Yum Yum Sauce or Ranch Dressing.Enjoy!